Wednesday, July 13, 2011

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

I recently took a trip, quite a rad trip actually. My favorite camera and I jumped on a plane and traded the warm sunny skies of Durbs for the dark and stormy ones that Cape Town is currently offering. What was I doing there you ask? Remember last year when I blogged about being hysterically excited for the Russel Wasserfall Food Bloggers Photography course? Yea well due to a whole bunch of events the course never ended up happening. Being a bit of a non quitter, I emailed, called, sms'd, mms'd and bbm'd Russel and his lovely assistant Sarah incessantly until they finally buckled under the pressure and mailed me back with this year's official dates.

The Days that followed were nothing short of awesome. We were three students in total which made for a really intimate and personal experience. Who ever said, "those who can't do, teach," was talking a big load of codswallop because Russel was both an incredible, patient and generous teacher and is currently one of the most respected food snappers in the country. (The man shoots all the food for Woolies and Crush magazine just in case you think i am being a bit dramatic.)
Our days were spent getting to know all those buttons on ever surface of our cameras, great discussions on light and composition were discussed over lunches created for us by the head chef of The Table, Russel's latest culinary adventure. I guess what I am trying to say is that us girls were spoilt absolutely rotten. I returned home on both evenings with my head buzzing and eyes boggling. The guy is literally a photographic magician and I was lucky enough to get in on a little of the magic. Here are my first attempts at professionalism . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment