Monday, January 24, 2011

BELLEVUE CAFE

 
Last Friday, the Bird's sister, Heidi (the cool kid in the chinos) and I went for a little brekkie at the very talked about Bellevue Cafe in Kloof. We had been chatting about going for ages but I always kind of put it off as I felt a certain pang of guilt for Cheating on the now deceased Vanille with which I had a pretty long standing love affair. Run by Chris Black of Aubergine fame I always knew it was going to be great, I just wish I had confirmed my suspicions sooner as it would appear I have missed out on a whak of buttery pastries, thoughtful specials and really really great food. 

The interrior of the cafe is really beautifully done, the same high ceilings still tower above you flooding the cafe in a warm light, the tables and furniture have been kept simple and stylish giving the room a very clean and calm ambiance, whilst the outside patio is filled with the sound of birds fussing and summer conversation.

Service was fantastic, our waiter was super attentive without being annoying, never once did I ask for my glass to be filled or a surface to be wiped and the guy seemed to know everything you could ever want to know about any ingredient or dish on the menu.

It is virtually impossible to go out for breakfast and get really good scrambled eggs anywhere, this really bugs me. My favorite breakfast (and often dinner) treat is scrambled eggs on Rye and it just so happens that Bellevue has just that on the menu so I decided to give it a bash. My eggs were creamy and delicious and the rye was lightly toasted so I didn't have to use a steak knife to cut through it. The portions were spot on and I was left feeling perfectly full. Other eats on the menu included sage and onion pork bangers with mustard mash, brown onion gravy and apple chutney and a prawn and baby marrow risotto with Parmesan and tomato chilli jam, the list goes on and on and I am going to keep going back until I have tried them all - after the wedding diet is over - of course!

Bellevue is definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment